Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Any good concerts lately?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
So I was wondering: Do y'all anime fans listen to muzak as much as I do? (No I don't mean game soundtracks, hehe). If so, what are you currently diggin' on? Have you been to any good shows recently? Etc, etc?!?!? Smile It's just that I never hear a lick about musical tastes around here and I wanna know: are most anime fans big into music or not? Rock? Rap? Country & Western? What floats your boat???

Right now I am hard into:
A Perfect Circle (Art Rock)
Radiohead (who isn't) (Experimental Progressive-Rock)
Mindless Self Indulgence (Gay-ass, Atari-core Thrash-hop)
Tori Amos (Lovely, Contemporary Piano Ballads)
Aphex Twin/Squarepusher (IDM, Breakbeat)
Muse (High-pitched Garage-prog)
...and of course the biggies: TOOL, Phish, S.O.A.D., etc. etc.

I got a chance to see A Perfect Circle/Nine Inch Nails on their fragility ver. 2.0 tour a few years back. I also caught TOOL last year and Tori a few months ago. I'd have to say APC and Tori tie for best show. They are both amazing live! the others were too, but didn't quite connect for me. We'll see who is ichi-ban after the Radiohead show in Aug. Smile Oh, I was also (regrettably) coerced into seeing Godsmack/Deftones in San Francisco a while back. Deftones cancelled. Worst two hours of my life. Hehe.

So what do yous guys like? Hmmm...??? (Oh, I hope this post doesn't piss off the touchier people around here, hehe). Smile
Well, basically I'm into the punk scene right now.

Lagwagon
NOFX
Blink 182
Dropkick Murphys
Wakefield
Sugarcult
The Used
Hot Hot Heath
AFI
Good Charlotte
Green Day
My other non-punkish music includes:
Matchbox 20
Three Doors Down
Lifehouse
Jimmy Buffet(hey what can i say he sings about good stuff)
Smashing Pumpkins
Beatles
Mad At Gravity

okies that's it, and I missed goin to my first concert by like 2 ppl in the ticket line.(three doors down) And I couldn't raise the money to go to the Warped Tour.
My taste really varies, just like in anime I listen to everything, right now I am currently listening to:

Portis Head
Tom Petty
The Strokes
LifeHouse
Tori Amos
Enigma
ELO
Leon, Chinese pop
Jay-z
Dixie Chicks
John Denver
And still keeping it real with my transformers the movie soundtrack.

The last good concerts I went to were: Tom Petty, The Who, U2, Gosh I hate to admit this but the TRL tour, but hey any chance I get to see Beyonce I'll take it. The Up in Smoke tour a few years back was pretty cool too.
Well my tastes vary from Marilyn Manson to Mozart to Eminem, but I did see B.B. King on July 6thBig Grin Definitely a very cool experience
Heh, I got a list a mile long of bands I listen to, so I'll only list the ones I really really like.

Pop: I don't like pop.
Aqua

Heavy Metal:
If they count I guess Gwar. I only like there song Saddam-A-Go-Go , but that song alone puts them on my list. (Vlad the Impaler is pertty good too.)

Hardcore:
AFI- Ok, they're hardcore/punk, but I call them hardcore. Plus, I don't listen to them much, but considering I have like 70 out of probably 90 something of their songs d/led on my computer I'm counting them anyways.

Punk: God the longest list.

Son of Sam- I've only heard one of their songs. The band is basicly part A.F.I., part Tiger Army (another pertty good band).

The Vandals

The Damned- is ok too.

NoFx

T.M.M. Bosstones

No Use For a Name

Alakaline Trio- has some good stuff.

Thursday- Gotta love "Cross Out the Eyes"

Lagwagon- Probably for their song "Know it All" "Raise A Family" "Mr. Coffe" & "Alison's Disease"

The Misfits- They're old, but still good. "Die Die Die My Darlin", "Helena", & "Dig Up Her Bones"

Nekromantix- They're like the Jr. Misfits, only not as good. "Who Killed The Cheerleader"

Wizo- German Punk! Can't understand a word of it, but it rocks. "Quadret Im Kreis"

Swingin' Utters
Screeching Weasel
Avail
The Dickies
The Dwarfs
Strung Out
Good Ridence
The Devits
Beatstakes
Undeclinable
Anti-Flag
Lars Frederiksen & the Bastards
Devils Brigade
Dropkick Murphys
Bracket
Pennywise
Snuff
Sex Pistols
Rancid- first punk band I listened to.
Blink 182 has SOME (not much in ways of music) good stuff.
Guttermouth
CKY- Another kinda hardcore.
The Clash
Death By Stereo
>Jake
Good Charlotte (heysi)- They basicly suck major monkey balls, but Benjerman or whatever his name is has a good voice, to bad he wastes it
Op Ivy
Zeke
Bad Religion
Voodoo Glow Skulls

There's a ton more, those are just the ones I normaly listen to, even though I'm sure I've forgoten some.

Ska:
The Hippos
Catch 22

Industrial/Gothic:
Limiter, so far, I'm just getting into this type of music.

I also like some Rock, & if you count Transplants & Gwar as rap, some there too. Not sure where Gorillaz fits in, & Del Da Funky Homosapien is the only real rapper I listen to.

Sorry for such a long post, I love music, & normaly I'll listen to anything but rejected punk, most country, a whole lota pop, & almost all rap.

As for shows, never seen one, but considering I think the most Rancid has ever charged for a concert that they were the main star of was like 6 bucks, I guess there's hope for me.

To sum it up, music, or atleast punk music is basicly my life. It keeps me breathing when I'm wounded, & inspires me when I have nothing else to go on, & that's why I normaly hate people who don't take it seriously.
Wow. Seems like the general consensus sure leans towards punk these days. Why do you suppose that is?

My sister loves bands like Blink 182/Boxcar Racer, MxPx, NOFX, Rancid, etc. etc. and so does basically everyone I know under the age of 18. Hmmm... I personally don't find much use for the genre but recognize some of the more endearing aspects of it. At the Drive-In or Mindless Self Indulgence is about as punky as I go, but they are not fringe bands for me. I thoroughly enjoy them.

Does punk generally appeal to a younger crowd or what? It would seem the mid-20 somethings around here anyway are all very into genres like acid-jazz and gothic metal and such, (mostly due to immense pretension I'd assume), but the kids love the punk! Hmmm... I just don't know. Rap, it would seem, spreads all across the boards, but I don't even bat an eye, seeing as how rap/hip-hop have become so quantitative and soulless in nature (like house techno did about 10 years back, really badly).

Anways, this is all very interesting, and by the by Batz, Del tha Funkee Homosapien freakin' ROCKS!! Smile
i have a wide range of musical taste but at the moment i have been mostly listening to:

the beatles
radiohead (everything after ok computer sucks)
the pillows
the vines
the coral
the doors
the eels
and tendo
Quote:radiohead (everything after ok computer sucks)

ohhh... Sanosuke, Sanosuke, Sanosuke... ahhh... you shouldn't have saaaid that..... what, are you on psilocybin mushrooms? No, no... if you were you'd have realized that Radiohead's "Kid A", "Amnesiac", and new "Hail to the Thief" are works at the height of musical invention and inspiration! The dark beauty captured within is surpassed only by the overwhelmingly vivid sense of despair and loss of said beauty to the sea of eternal loneliness!!! (Hehe Smile)

I suppose one is entitled to one's own opinion... technically... under law... for now... Smile but please carefully re-examine these albums if you would. They are truly brilliant and excellent works of art and surpass all earlier works of theirs exponentially. "Pop is Dead" over "Idioteque"??? "Bones" over "Life in a Glass House"?!?!? Puh-leeze! Smile

I realize this post took a harsh turn right away... hehe. Smile but I find it a very VERY grave matter this old Radiohead vs. new Radiohead controversy, and I would like an end put to the silliness once and for all. I guess I will just have to go up to Thom at the show and ask him which is betterer, hehe. Look they are all facets of what Radiohead was and has become. Knock "Kid A" and you knock Radiohead as a whole. Bash "The Bends" and you bash them in the head. OK? Computer? Good. Smile
Quote:Originally posted by six_plus_one
Does punk generally appeal to a younger crowd or what?

Yeah, I guess you could say that. A lot of the bands I listen to are full of 30-40 year old men, so I'm sure there has to be quite a few older men out there that like it too, but all you see these days are either young ones with mohawks, or the retards that believe all punk should be Blink 182, & GC (aka Justin, I love'em, & miss singing with him at school, but still), & they sit around talking about how I listen to Old School punk, but I just call it punk because to me how can it be old school, if there is no real new school?

Quote: Anways, this is all very interesting, and by the by Batz, Del tha Funkee Homosapien freakin' ROCKS!! Smile

Yeah, I've only heard the things he sung with the Gorillaz though. And besides you, I only know one other guy who knows who he is.

Come on people, no Industral Gothic, the junk ain't half bad, which then again it isn't all good. You just have to learn to let yourself get caught up in it. http://www.artificialmusicmachine.com/ma...page=audio
Link, just incase ya'll want to check it out, although I'm not even sure what those bands fit under beside artificial music. I suggest Limiter - Looking Through Glass, the first like 30 seconds or so of the song is nothing but a buzzing sound, then finaly the guy's voice comes in & says something about the Cosmic Flow I think, I'm not really sure.

I guess you could say I'm obsessed with music, sometimes I just put on a CD & walk out the room, & am happy just to know it's playing.
Yeah, I forgot to mention Industrial and such. At the moment I am not too into anyone in the genre that much, but I do love Nine Inch Nails (of course), Skinny Puppy (what I've heard so far), etc. etc... (the big guns, y'know). Smile I think it's the fact that Goth-Industrial is such a niche category, and is generally a little hard to explore without hitting a few speedbumps of confusion or dissatisfaction, that kaibosh-es mass appreciation of the genre. The core of it is not many people are willing to search beyond their Avril Lavigne and their Ruben Studdard these days. I think any artist(s) that continue to push the boundaries of music and creativity are priceless gems in these foul times. There are tons of bands and artists that i couldn't possibly list here that are still re-inventing their styles and taking the game to new levels, though one may have to search long and hard to find them.

As for Del tha Funkee Homosapien, he's been rapping for probably like 15-20 years now. I'm not the expert here, but it seems he has released albums under Del tha Funkee Homosapien and Deltron 3030. Deltron 3030's self-titled album has some seriously infectious beats and is very proactive, as del raps about politics, technology crises, and the environment. It is much more hip-hop than rap, and makes use of many unusual synthesizer souds and song structures. A little weird to be sure, but very original and very funkee. Check it out for sure, especially if you have kazaa, then you've no excuses. Smile Other simliar artists are 'Dr. Octagon' and 'Handsome Boy Modeling School', but I don't particularly care for most of that stuff as it is a bit euro-club for my tastes. If you're looking for more melodic, try the artists 'Kenna' or 'Tricky'.

Wouldn't it be great if all rappers held themselves to such exacting standards? All musicians for that matter! Well, there's my two cents.

Oh yeah, also, I am currently wetting myself over the little tidbit available at http://www.aperfectcircle.org right now: a 30 second or so clip of a new track off APC's new album "Thirteenth Step"...!!!!! Yeehaw!!! Smile My Maynard fix for now...
Is Nine Inch Nails the ones who sing "I Wanna Fu*k You Like An Animal"? Strangely enough, my father likes that song.

As for people re-defining, & expanding catigories, I guess you could say I'm agaist it. When you mix bits from one type of music with pieces of another I don't believe you should be able to claim it is whatever the other junk you've been singing, just because you're the one doing it. These days, some of the country music stars have done so much redefineing, that the only reason you can't classify their music as rock is because of the interments. Screw the insterments, if it sounds like orck, it's rock! Country is stuff like Wille Nelson (sp?), not some type of Rock meets Country, or Pop meets Country.

Or like the way Punk has changed over the years.

If you break it down you have:
Punk, which was/changed into punk rock

Up Beat with attitude & Ska mixtures
/
Old School
Punk---Punk Rock< "CowPunk"
New School<- Sold Out crap
Rap style Punk

& somewhere in between the "CowPunk" (which personaly I've never really heard), is the Phycobilly/Rockibilly & Horror Punk.

All of which are called Punk/Punk Rock. I'm not sure I got all the types written out write.

I listen to Horror, "Punk", "Punk Rock" (I count punk as stuff like the sex pistol, nothing but attitude, & Punk Rock as stuff like Rancid & NoFx, seeing as how NoFx hit the top 50 list)....actualy I listen to all but CowPunk, & I try to avoid all sold out junk.
As far as the corporate-spurred intermixing of genres and terrible dillution of musical integrity goes, I could put a big fat slug in the ass of everyone involved. I meant pushing the boundaries in the sense of artists challenging themselves to explore what can be done with music itself. Trying to blend, say, rap and rock was an interesting concept it's true, and perhaps is classifiable as its own semi-genre, but the execution was lousy and the idea was thoroughly exhausted within a week. I am fully against the outright regression that intermixing of tired, old genres has become. Boring music + boring music does not equal excellence, but what I was talking about is when an artist begins to find other ways to express musical ideas that haven't been tried before or come from an original standpoint. It's hard to explain. It's not just that it's never been done that makes it good, it's, just... well... ok, examples:

Radiohead (hehe) found it was truly liberating to realize they didnt have to be bound by guitars and drums sets. They began work on Kid A/Amnesiac with a new mindset, using any and all sounds available, unashamedly, to create music more akin to the vision inside their heads. As a result the two albums (recorded simultaneously) are probably some of the best music mankind has ever witnessed. Completely new and original and still amazingly expressive and beautiful.

Same with punk music, had to start somewhere. A few guys who already espoused the ideas began to develop them into music. The newness and purity of the genre speaks for itself, (or did back then).

So I am all for creation, not for the procreation happening in most of today's scene. Bands like Sum 41 and Blink 182 are just cowards retreating into proven musical road-ruts. This doesn't mean that at one time the genre wasn't spectacular. Most all music is wonderful when it first exists, but flog that horse long enough and you get Nsync and the Backstreet Boys. Some things, like all corporate induced music, are born-into-sin and should not exist.

Well, another two cents in the hat... For some pretty different stuff you could try Mindless Self Indulgence. They might appear to be a rap-rock outfit, for about 1.2 seconds, but they meld the soundtracks of playing atari on extasy with being a ghetto pimp who hates authority figures and likes to be pee'd on, all this beinging comically tied in to the mix by the skinny white punker-gayboy singer affectionately called Little Jimmy Urine. I know it sounds like a mess, but it comes out to be a very origianl sound and instantly infectious and worthwhile or instantly hated. Either way it's not Avril Lavinge so Thank God. Smile
I know mixing type of music can have good effects, like with the Transplants, punk mixes a bit with rap, or GWAR, whose one good song sounds a bit like rap, & they're heavey metal I guess you could say. Then there are the really weird mixes. A Hardcore Ska band, Choking Victim. Yeaah, but their music rocks, which I guess that's because it's basicly harcore vocals, with a bit of ska like duming in the background.

Another thing I'm mostly against, is how these new bands will play in movies, do commercials, & junk like that, but when you track down their roots, they all origninaly listened to punk bands that try to keep their videos off public air (Ranicd & NoFx). That's like saying yes, I love them, they basicly taught me everything I needed to know about the ways of puink, then I turned around flushed it all to hell, & made a good buck. Now I guess I can't really comment on the fact that a band is in a popular teen movie for the cash, & I guess I shouldn't say they're doing it for the advertisement, but still.
It reminds me onf the Wayne's World movie where they're talking about mainstream crap, or something like that, & then start showing off pepsi, pain killers, & shoe brands.

Side Note: Like my father, I actualy liked Avril Lavinge, that is until for some "great" reason, I came to the point of when hearing her music, & the music of the other two girls out there that sound just like her, I almost cry. That really ruined the music.

"Same with punk music, had to start somewhere. A few guys who already espoused the ideas began to develop them into music. The newness and purity of the genre speaks for itself, (or did back then)."
"So I am all for creation, not for the procreation happening in most of today's scene. Bands like Sum 41 and Blink 182 are just cowards retreating into proven musical road-ruts."

Yeah, back then it was some angery 40 year old man, screaming out junk most people think is crap, & doesn't even sound like music, more like a dying cow. But, yet their music has the ability to carry the intensity of a live performence even when it's recorded.
Now days you have stupids kids out there singing about their parent's sex, blow jobs, & stuff they think is rejected, while taking a commical point of view. Sure it's entertaining, but it's just not punk.

Also one thing I never admit to most peol;e is the fact I listened to Blink 182 back before they became so hip with all the kids around here (back when one of the kids said they were a band of faggets, & their music sucked), & still listened to them when they getting popular with my friends, but then I grew up, & went from listening to them to the more "underground" stuff, sure I still listened to them every now & then, but only their more serious stuff, like I think one of them is Stay Together for the Kids. I also kinda like Sum 41.

I know a lot of people who listened/listens to radiohead. I've only seen one of their msuic videos on MTV (a long time ago), & it didn't impress me, which then again back then i think I was into country (*gag*), Pop, & starting to like Rock.

As for Mindless Self Indulgence if I had a p2p program I'd try d/ling some of their stuff, because as CDs go, I only buy comps. Cheap comps: For two reasons. One, I'm poor, & two, I'm cheap.

My music tastes went basicly like this:

Growing up I could only listen to Country, Pop, & OLD Rock stuff. Bands: Don't know any of the country ones, unless you count my dad who has been on a local channel. Rock: Basicly all bands played on the radio from the 70s-80s. For pop, I guess I Micheal Jackson.

Then later I basicly went like this:
Pop
Rock
Rap
Rock
The year I discovered PUNK!
Punk & Rock
Punk & Ska
Punk & Hardcore
Punk, Ska & Hardcore

& Now I basicly listen to a bit of everything only focusing around certain types depending upon what I'm trying to do (write).

In ending: I basicly agree with everything you've said, so how did your music tastes develop?
Hehe, oddly enough I think I basically started out disliking music, waaaaaay back when. I can't really remeber much but tunes from films I saw when I was real little and from then I think it was merely acceptance of music for a while. My dad listened to stuff like Sade and... well Sade, so maybe that was what turned me off initially, and lots of oldies, so I didn't relate. I'm told I hummed a lot to myself, but not too much else. I was a Sound FX man.
I remember kids all singing this song together one time and I was like "How can they all know it? I don't know it." In retrospect it was Green Day's "Basket Case" (just shows you how late in the game I actually picked up on things). Anyways it was all too much. By that time I was a Beatles/Boyz II Men fan and there was raging opposition, so I picked up a copy of Bush's "Sixteen Stone" and tried to see what all the hubbub was.
So I took to that a bit and it helped me to break free of the Blockbuster's collection of film soundtracks I had been listening to. So then it was some Joan Osbourne and such, and then my good friend got me into popular grunge.
Soundgarden and Alice in Chains. Some kid had me listening to Dave Matthews. Smashing Pumpkins, The Presidents, No Doubt. I made the rounds. Then I started a band with a kid named Danny and we were into Toadies and Marilyn Manson and Sponge (I think). So I'm basically another vapid consumer at this point, then I start this other band with another Danny. We are Nirvana. 100%. Through and through. So this all goes pretty well, but then I moved to WA.
So I am alone in dullsville and gone from Mr. The Shit (we kicked some ass at an otherwise musical-recital of a talent show in Jr. High) to piece of shit. So I cling to Nirvana, HARD, for a few with very little anything else. Eventually I meet this kid who doesn't know much about music and I "school" him in Nirvana. He gets hooked and we are off. Then high school takes its toll and eventually I end up surrounded by Korn, (who I've never much liked for the record), etc. I made some stabs at expanding my horizons and came up with NIN, Primus, Ozzy, etc. but I was in a rut. Lots of mainstream hard rock.
I don't remember how I got into TOOL but I did and I still am. From then on the crappy music scene around here has tempted me with gansta rap and rap-rock, but I am Ahab and I will not be moved. So admittedly into some uninspired music I finally realize there a lot more out there and actively explore for new stuffs. I'm at this point finding out about Mudvayne and Pantera, and I still had a lingering distaste for all techno. Well, story-of-my-life aside, eventually the heavy rock/metal thing melted off and I was left looking in all directions for all things good. I found Radiohead on "Kid A".
Gawd I found Radiohead on "Kid A". By this time I began to look a little deeper into music and started to see some good in most areas. Music is really very connected, and I like many genres after a fashion. So then it was a gradual acceptance of IDM and techno, a departure from the, let's say "youthfulness" of metal and hard rock, and a search for introspective and important lyrics and musics.
So now I'm pretty much a musical whore, but I can be so, confident that I will not regress, because of some finely developed discrimitating tastes, hehe. Smile It surprises me sometimes what I will come to like. Generally it's peaceful or politically active or surprisingly honest stuffs at this point, with healthy doses of ridiculous hip hop and techno thrown in. Experimental all the way. (Make no mistakes: I hate rap. Always have, always will). I favor the music that you can justify to yourself, not necessarily others. Y'know? Smile
(Gawd, sorry about this big-ass post, but since it's basically me and Batz, who cares?)
Oh yeah, sorry Batz for ripping on Sum41, Blink and Avril. I couldn't think of any others. Smile
Well, to make this a brief as possilbe I'm gonna generalize some parts of this.

Until I was about 10 or 11 all i had to listen to around my house were oldies, country, and Jimmy Buffett. Them my mother bought me my first CD, and as most of you can probably guess it was Nsync. (I had to go look at a past post ot see how to spell that) So for a bout 2 years I did tha pop thing. I still listened to Jimmy buffett willingly, but the country was outta there. Around my 7th grade year I started discovering the world of rock, all thanks to my friend Ben. Bush, Metalica, Etc. Though I never quite latched onto the Metalica thing, I thought they were a bunch of old guys trying to salvage thier careers. 8th grade was spent listening to Korn, Slipknot, Soundgarden, and other hard stuff like that. Blah blah blah, yada yada yada.... Punk & Jimmy Buffett!!!!!!!!!!!! Right now I'm listening to the less known bands of the world. Distored Penguins, NHOI, Daycare Swindlers, Voodoo Glow Skulls, Lagwagon, etc.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5