Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Gundam info?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Pages: 1 2
I'm trying to find a good website or source that shows how all the Gundam shows line up as far as sequence of events, side stories, etc. There's so much out there and I'd like to learn more about what significance each show has in the whole Gundam universe and when the events in each show happen in relation to the other shows.

Also for you Gundam fans, I'm wondering which ones you would recommend seeing and which ones you'd recommend skipping over. As for what I've seen, the ones I liked were Gundam Wing, Gundam 08th MS Team, and Gundam Seed. I've also seen some of Gundam G but have no interest in that show whatsoever and can't even get through an episode without thinking it's completely ridiculous. Also I saw some of the original Mobile Suit Gundam but it was just too old and I couldn't get past the low quality of the show. So I'm wondering if any Gundam fans could make any further recommendations on which ones I should see. Thanks.
[Image: series.jpg]

SEED has 52 episodes though.

You could skip G-Saviour, honestly. Really, you should give most/all of them a try. And yes, MSG is old...it was made in 1979. Get the movie set and stay with it...because many of the series follow through with that happened in 0079.
G-Gundam is the most emotionally packed Gundam series of them all. It's different emotion then though "war is stupid" like the other series. Don't put it down till you've seen the whole thing. I like it more then Zeta Gundam.
I don't have a site for you, but I highly recomend Zeta Gundam, 0083, Gundam Movie 1,2 & 3. As for the comment, Gundam is about "war is stupid", This has been the basics of Gundam since the origanl Mobile Suit Gundam series. G-Gundam may have emotional content (I've only seen a few eps on CN) but the reason most hardcore Gundam fans don't like it is because it does not stick to the basics of what Gundam is traditionally about. It is simply a Giant Robot/Fighting anime with mecha designs similar to Gundam. If you want to watch, take it as it is, just don't expect it to be what you have come to expect from Gundam.
I wouldn't exactly call G Gundam an emotional thrillride. I can hardly classify it as Gundam either, because it's more like SRW [Super Robot Wars].
gundam wing is probably my favorite but i also enjoyed g-gundam and what ive seen of gundam seed. how can anyone say that g-gundam is ridiculous? and from what the reads of new new-type tell me, the original gundam is definately woth watching despite its oldness.
I suggest watching the series in some kind of order. The original MSG is pretty lame, but the movies do a good job of condensing the story. I only have the first series to see all the different suits I have as MSiAs. For me collecting the toys and watching the anime have about the same enjoyment factor so I really dig G Gundam. There are so many interesting/gimmicky suits and the story has a more energetic feel. It's totally different than any other Gundam series so if you don't like it there's still plenty of selection.
Quote:The original MSG is pretty lame, but the movies do a good job of condensing the story
Personally I don't think the original MSG TV is lame at all. Sure the animation and art are dated, but there are few filler episodes, characterisation is strong and we've all been otaku long enough not to define an anime solely on techincal merit alone.

As far as the movies go they do a good job of condensing the larger TV series into a more palletable movie format (Still running at five hours plus though), but due to the amount of content cut, it does so at the expense of character development.

I don't have anything against G-Gundam either (hell i'm into Macross 7 =o) ) but I would rather watch Gundam saga's that take place within the Universal Century timeline. That said, the heavily political Gundam X is sorta perennial favourite of my mine and one that I revisit often.

Still, i'm waiting for Bandai to get their collective asses in gear and get that big Zeta Gundam boxset stateside. I fear we will be in for a long and torturous wait Sad.

Just my two Smile
http://www.mahq.net

The place I go for Gundam info.
Quote:Originally posted by Duragon
Still, i'm waiting for Bandai to get their collective asses in gear and get that big Zeta Gundam boxset stateside. I fear we will be in for a long and torturous wait Sad.[/B]

I don't think that its going to be that long of a wait (maybe 6-8 months).
According to Bandai's panel at AX, they are going to put out a limited edition boxset-subs only is what I understood-months before they release the sinlge dvds
Thanks for the links and info. Yeah I want to watch them in sort of their correct order so those sites really helped. So is everything after V Gundam in alternate universes where each show doesn't really have much to do with another? Or do some of the later series pick back up on the "official" timeline?
Allow me to handle this:

Highly Reccomended:
MSG 0079 Series(The movies have some nice reanimated scenes, but the series is essentially better)
MSG 08th MS Team (You mentioned it, but it's a must)
Gundam 0080 (Buy the R1s though, the HK subs are terrible)
Zeta Gundam (My personal favorate...I reccomend it)
Char's Counterattack (Another must because it concludes things)
Gundam F-91(Fast paced movie, but cheap, and still quite good)
Victory Gundam (Great UC series that stands on it's own as well as with the rest)
Gundam X (An AU series...but has a significant ending for the Gundam saga as a whole, watch this after the other UCs)

Mildly Reccomended:
Gundam 0083 (Same as 0080 with bad subs, but watch it for the awesome battles, NOT the characters)
Double Zeta (Direct Sequal to Zeta...needed to resolve some plot points, and still good...but just not AS GOOD, however...if you get Zeta you should get this too)
G-Gundam (It's good...actually, once you get beyond the "Super Robot" Cliches, this is a good series at it's core)
Turn A (This deserves more then a "mild reccomendation", but I believe it should be the last Gundam series a fan sees for plot reasons)
SEED (Good series...not the greatest, but it has good charcters, and a few great episodes *cough*35*cough*)

Not highly reccomended:

G-Saviour (I admit I don't loathe it like some, but don't see it unless you're bored, it's not to much.)

Wing (Heh...Too late I guess, but the fact is that Wing is NOT what real Gundam series should be about. See it for the funny and ultra unrealistic things the main pilots do...not for "the best Gundam series of them all")

That about sums up my view on this.
I agree with basically all of this. I'd recommend Wing, but keep in mind it's NOT what Gundam truely is [I'd place G Gundam in that catagory too.]

With that, I'd move SEED to Highly Recommended, and move 0083 up there too [the characters are just flat and rather one sided.]
The only gundam shows that i can say to avoid are
gundam 0080 and g gundam
0080 is only 6 episodes, but i was in pain the whole time i watched them
annoying kid+annoying protagonis+minimal action=crap
I just didnt care about the charaters is 0080 and was actualy chearing when they died, and slaming my fist in anger when the kid didnt die. Also it seems like the ethnic minorites allways end up on zeon's side.
All the knocks you have read againt g are pretty much warranted, it trys to be serious but it is just utterly ridiculus. come on a beam saber that says g gundam on it.
My biggest gripe is the ethinc sterotypes just get on my nerves after a while
Curse you Tequila Gundam!!
Thanks for the further recommendations, I will have to start watching these. Yeah I just wasn't into the whole kung-fu robot fighting thing in G Gundam. I like the whole technology aspect of mecha shows and G just seemed too mystical and fantasy-like which I'd rather see left to samurai drama type of shows.

I know Wing is disliked by many fans. It was the first Gundam I ever saw when CN started airing the (almost) uncut and I ended up liking it and wanted to see more Gundam. I can't wait to see these other recommended series then.
Pages: 1 2