Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Technical Question . . . Schultz
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
I read this article on animenewsnetwork.com and was trying to figure out what it means. What are "repeated Denial of Service attacks"? In regular terms. Don't give me any technical jargon Schultz.

"One of the larger, and more popular providers of digital fansubs via bittorrent, AnimeSuki, has been shut down by their server provider after repeated Denial of Service attacks. Accoding to their website, they were able to shrug off most of the attacks, and many visitors to the site, as well as users of the service, probably never noticed them.

However apparrently the server provider did, and after a while decided that it wasn't worth hosting a site continually under attack, so they pulled the plug on AnimeSuki's server.

No one is known to have claimed responsability for the attacks.

AnimeSuki is working on re-establishing itself with another provider."
This explains it better than I could:

https://grc.com/dos/drdos.htm

-Vidiot
it would be where someone will send massiev amounts of pings, packets or anything of the sort in order to flood the server, and cause it to freeze or shutdown. Usually this is performed by many computers, all with really fast internet connections. It's usually done with many small packets instead of larger packets since the many smaller ones will take up more RAM.
Surprisingly, I remember enough from school to understand Kakomu's explanation. Now is that just because so many people were hitting the server all the time or because someone purposely did it to flood their server?
it's purposeful. they do it to knock the server out of commission.
Kakomu is correct and great explanation.. Basically you have like 1000 computers or so with fast computers all start sending LOTs of data packets to the one computer and basically that one computer can't handle them all so either it quits responding totally or there isn't any processing power or bandwidth left for it to service normal customers thus Denial of Service.. but most of the time if the attacks can be caught in time then can be filtered out so the computer never gets them etc..