Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Wow. Rurouni Kenshin = Trigun with samurais?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just watched the first episode on Cartoon Network last night. It went like this:

Kaoru: Could this man really be Batosai the Manslayer?
Kenshin <- does something goofball
Kaoru: No! He couldn't be!
Big Guy: NO! U C, I AM BATOSAI THE MANSLAYER!
Kaoru: It's Batosai! I must confront him!
Kaoru gets caught by big guy.
Big Guy: Heheheheh.
Kenshin <- runs in and beats the snot out of Big Guy and all of his flunkies.
Kaoru: Could this Kenshin guy really be Batosai the manslayer?

Contrarily, Trigun went more like this.

Meryl: Could this man really be Vash the Stampede?
Vash <- does something goofball
Meryl: No! He couldn't be!
Big Guy <- is big and evil and has a mohawk.
Meryl: It's Vash! I must confront him!
Meryl gets caught by big guy.
Big Guy: Heheheheh.
Vash <- runs in and beats the snot out of Big Guy and all of his flunkies.
Meryl: Could this goofball really be Vash the Stampede?

It also really doesn't help that Meryl and Kaoru have the same English VA. They sound da same! :mrgreen:
Lol, already tackled this bro.

To everyone else: we watched this in a group of people and we all had the same thought, couldn't help laughing about it whenever any little similarity popped up between the two.
yeah, what a coincidence, that there are two threads with the exact same purpose.

and I was wondering, isnt it possible that these similarities are strictly a coincidence as well? :?
Possible, but not likely. There are too many intricate similarities to be chalked up to coincidence. It's not just the plot, it's also how the characters are directed, suddle motions, reactions to certain situations, etc.

Taking influence is not a bad thing though, as long as they work in the context of the anime as a whole. It is also comforting that Kenshin covered the plot of the first five episodes of Trigun in one episode, which means it's going to have to branch in a new direction rather quickly.
alright, but you still have to say that it could be a coincidence. but then again, you could suddenly inherite millions of dollars from a relative that you had never met :mrgreen:
I never noticed that Meryl and Kaoru had the same VA's. I'll have to pay attention next time. The only voice I can actually recognize is Tiffany Grant's (Asuka from EVA).
yeah, I dont really pay attention to the voices of people, only to what they are saying.

alright, im out, its 6 O clock in my area, and the simpsons is about to show on dubya bee 56!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

plus the pizza that I ordered just arived and im hungry Big Grin
You guys need to get it straight, though. Trigun was a ripoff of KENSHIN, because KENSHIN was out first. It's the truth, so you don't say that Kenshin summed up the first five episodes of Trigun, Trigun took the first episode of Kenshin and stretched it out five episodes. But, sa I said, look at my post in the other thread, and you got my answer. Confusedweatdrop:
I really don't compare the 2. Other then the fact that neither likes to kill, I don't really go looking for similarities. I personally liked Kenshin much better than Vash, as a show and as a character as well.
Oh, well I'm not laying blame Suza =) In my other post I was wondering which one came first. I just say it that way because I saw Trigun first, so it's in the perspective of me having seen them in that order, however, I don't doubt that Trigun was the one to copy Kenshin if you say it was.

I also don't want to really make it a negative thing either, as each is awesome in their own right. Anyway, thinking about it, the whole anime scene keeps recycling similar ideas over and over again anyway, so I can't really say anything negative about any of them.

I mean, how many times have we seen a an old badass vampire slaughtering other vampires.

Hellsing -> Vampire Hunter D -> Castlevania SOTN -> Blood -> ad infinitum

How many times have we seen a badass guy in a red coat with one white and one black gun.

Devil May Cry -> Trigun -> Hellsing

And of course, how many times have we seen a high school student magically flung into a fantasy world of high adventure?

Inu Yasha -> Escaflowne -> Yu Yu Hakusho -> just about everything else

And I'm not even going to get into the obvious ones, like Shounen, bounty hunters in space, magical girl, or the dreaded giant impractical humanoid robots fight each other in close combat with the future of humanity at stake.

I guess every plots been done, it's just in the execution of that plot that you sink or swim. =)

Furthermore, both Vash and Kenshin (well what I've seen of him) are two of the best rolemodels possible for anyone (right up there with Tylor. ^_^) I'm not going to blame anyone who wants to convey that that's the ideal picture of humanity for anything, and I think the message is a great one, worth being said many times. Needless to say I'm buying Kenshin :mrgreen:
No no no noooo....
Trigun and Kenshin is not simmular!
NOT AT ALL!
IT sooo differnt!
well that is how you prove a point