Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Generator Gawl
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
Just finished watching this series on my comp, and I gotta say it was awesome!!!!!!!! I can't believe this series isn't as popular as it should be. Anyway, I decided to check to see if there was an HK set out, and I saw that JunkieJoe just updated his store with GAWL IN STOCK! I was just wondering how this set is though before I got it. All I really need to know is the episode layout, i.e. how many eps per disc. Thanks to anyone who can help.
Hi, I dont know the details like the number episodes for the series but this HK set appears to be R1 rip, having English Dub track aswell.
Damn Joe you reply fast...yeah, I'm prolly gonna get it in a couple of days anyway, but I just wanted to get a little heads up. Thanks anyway man!!! Keep up the awesome work.
Np, just doing some posting before bed time Tongue
Hi, I wasn't able to post my review. Here is it

video 4.5/5
Crisp and clear for the most part, including intensice combat scenes.However in several first few episodes in disk 1, visible pixalation is found on dark sceneres. I can't recall pixalation was found in disk 2's episodes. Combat scenes are very fluid ;-)

audio 4/5
Stereo; Japanese and English. The English dub is decent and enjoyable to watch the title in.English dub fits the characters.

subtitle 2.5/5
Blah. Only has English subtitle and only *part* of the conversation is subbed. Luckily the English dub makes up for it ;-) (You must watch in English dub because the plot involves a bit of molecular genetic engineering and a human-play-god philosophy)

comment
I definitely recommend this title. Like reviews in animenfo http://www.animenfo.com/animetitle,178,s..._gawl.html, I'm impressed by the plot and a good ending be fitted in a 12 episodes.

This title is capable of keeping you guessing for the ending until the very last episode ;-)
Man, wish I had waited a couple weeks before buying the R1s of this ova series. I got them for $36 from bestbuy.com, but would really have preferred the cheaper set. Oh well, it's a pretty cool series. Zero fan service Sad and a pretty meager plot. I just finished episode 8 (of 12) and the two guys from the future that hang with Gawl are still kinda gay. Great action and some comedy, but it's an enjoyable watch. I'd recommend if you're into action and some good animation.

The preview of the next episode offers some potential!
neoEIN: you mean the subs weren't directly ripped from the R1's!! What color were the subs? Also, was the intro/outro subbed? This will help determine if it is a direct rip or not? Thanks for responding btw.
Gendo, this is R1 rip but sometimes there are issues with rips... like missing lines which apears Gawl seems to have...
Quote:Originally posted by "Gendo007"

neoEIN: you mean the subs weren't directly ripped from the R1's!! What color were the subs? Also, was the intro/outro subbed? This will help determine if it is a direct rip or not? Thanks for responding btw.

This MAC Generator Gawl is indeed a R1 ripped because of the English dubbed and the display of ADV did the dubbed and subbed at the very end of the outro.

The English subtitle in an episode and in next ep preview are in white letters. The intro and outro are subbed in yellow letters. The reason I've specifically mentioned the inferior subtitle is because I always watch anime in Jap track and read the subtitle (I want a sub for every sentence being said). Yet, as I've said before the English dub makes up for the lack of decent subtitle. Honestly the English dub is good because I finished the whole 12 eps in one night Smile

MAC Generator Gawl is a good buy.

Ps. This MAC copy has 2 disks. 6 eps per disk. Each disk has a silent English menu.
Hmm, I'm kinda interested now in knowing how much lines are missing. With MAC the standard seems to be 1 or 2 lines per episode, some episodes not missing a single one. So could you be a little bit more specific.
Another thing is that the dub of Generator Gawl has a huge drawback: it's not the same as what the japanese are saying. Hop over to AoD, they say that the dub spoils a lot of things because it explain stuff that happens a few episodes later. Lemme dig up a piece of it.

"The English dub cast sounds very good overall, it's just such a shame that such massive rewrites were done. The mystery and lack of explanations in the Japanese language track are almost given away point for point in the dub. I'd almost classify this one like Sin, where it's two different shows."

"The first set of episodes here definitely aren't something that will hook you in big. Depending on what track you're listening to, you'll either be curious as to what it's all about (Japanese track) or feel like the script has been rather dumbed down and you can feel like you've been told everything (English track)."
Given I don't speak Japanese, I can't tell you exactly what part of the lines are missing. However, given ep 1

-at scenes Masami getting angry at her mom for calling in sick (at the fast food restaurant Masami works) , on her behalf, because of the mom's concern for fast food stalker, I recall the Eng sub did not state it.

-at scenes where Kouji, Ryou, and Gawl arrived outside of Masami mom's run student housing, as the Kouji was talking to the mom of taking the vacant room, that was very little subbed.

I did not check out the Eng sub for my entire Gawl watching because the Eng dub and sub did not match and it's an eye sore (personally).

May be you or AoD are right on the Eng dub giving away the info from later eps but I'm sure those info would not have prepared you for the ending (I mean the last ep). This title is not plot-wise complex. The ending is not a socking yet unexpected and satisfiable.

Hope this helps.
ALthough the set is a great buy from JJ and I will own oit from you *next time I drop some cash* There is also the Generator Gawl Perfect Collection and that is a damn good buy... here is the web site just cut and paste... For those of us who must have are R1's

http://www.uln.com/cgi-bin/vlink/702727033520IE.html
Nice site....I ended up getting the R1s anyway. I found a guy on ebay selling it for $35 with shipping and all. Sorry JJ.
Hey I'm buying JJ's stuff and getting the Perfect collection.... Oh JJ your's are a gift to some friends here in Okinawa since your's are region free... :twisted: