Import Anime Forums

Full Version: Macross 7?
You're currently viewing a stripped down version of our content. View the full version with proper formatting.
What's up guys?

Well, I'm planning on buying a new set of anime dvds, and I was wondering what people think about Macross 7.

I've seen the first episode, and I have to say that most of it seemed totally whack. Then again, I hear that it gets really good as long as you are a macross fan, which I am very much.

So I'd like to hear your thoughts about macross 7.
I'm not a Macross fan, but my friend is and he thought Macross 7 was pretty weak.
That's too bad. I would really like to see what Max and Miriya's real daughter is like instead of that Dana Sterling nonsense from Robotech gen2, Southern Cross.

Anybody else?
Looking to buy it myself, as I jsut finished the original Macross series. On the same subject of Macross 7, there are so many different sets of it out there. Which one is the best?
As for Macross... it is what it is A space opera... I love the first and the Movie was great from what I hear Macross 7 is the first series in a fresh coat of paint...
I always found it silly to be battling other Mechs by controlling your Mech with a guitar and a pair of drum sticks ;p

I'd prefer to watch "Sailor Moon for.. ahem.. the story" , than that show hehe
grrr leave Sailor Moon alone :evil:
Vinny,
I believe that there are reviews about the different sets of Macross 7. I think that Manga International has a better rating, but they're there so have at it.
Macross 7 is cool, mainly because the main character isn't a war mongering jerk, but instead someone who takes a different approach to solving disputes and battles. His outrageously pacifistic ways (not unlike Vash from Trigun), often land him in hot water with his friends and cohorts,and it's from here that a lot of the enjoyment can be found.

I just wish that this whole legal issue between Big West and Tatsunoko can get settled so that Macross 7 could get a domestic release. I mean if it were on TV it would be an instant hit because it has fairly decent mecha, cool 'choons', lots of comedy and interesting characters and would appeal almost directly to the demographic that Adult Swim/Toonami are trying to please.

Whilst not the strongest Macross story around (look no further than Mac+ for that), it still remains very entertaining and kept me hooked for absolutely ages.

Trust me, forge on past the seventh episode or so and it really begins to grip you.

YOU WILL LISTEN TO MY SONG!!! - Basara Nekki Tongue
Macross Plus's story is miles behind that of the original's.
I've watched about twenty eps. and it's still blah. Basara is a dork and he just gets in the way. I'd put this one way down on the "to watch" list. Doesn't come close to the original series, but it does have cool moments for true Macross fans to pick up on.
So johnkillingsworth,
thanks for the reply, but could you elaborate a little more than stating that Basara is a dork? What about stuff like the story, characters, themes, etc....Y'know a little bit more than yea or nay...

thanks!
Quote:Macross Plus's story is miles behind that of the original's.

I dunno Vinny, sure I still like the story of the original Macross TV series (it was the anime that got me started on anime) and obviously it's credited with the subseqent genesis of Macross.

But I feel that Macross Plus is the ultimate Macross work simply because it represents the finely tuned evolution of the centrifugal themes of that orignal Macross work, those themes being the love triangle, effectual music and freakin' awesome mecha! :mrgreen:

Heck, I even wrote a review of the Macross Plus OAV on the animecritic boards:

http://www.animecritic.com/bbs/YaBB.pl?b...47&start=0

Oh and one other thing, Manga Ent can go screw themeselves with their comment that it's the 'topgun' of Japanese animation because anybody with half a brain can see it's a hellvua lot more than that.
Stupid Manga Ent. don't even know how to create removable subtitles for the movie version, they hardcoded them into the video, wtf is this, fansub?