The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.3.6 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Import Anime Forums
My Girlfriend - Printable Version

+- Import Anime Forums (https://import-anime.com/forums)
+-- Forum: Anime/HK DVD Discussion (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-3.html)
+--- Forum: General Babble (https://import-anime.com/forums/forum-8.html)
+--- Thread: My Girlfriend (/thread-3404.html)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43

My Girlfriend - Andromeda18_ - 09-06-2004

Wow Batik, that looks cool! If you don't mind me asking, how old are you? I'm asking because I've been wanting to practise some sort of martial art for a while now but I think I'm too old for that. I thought I was too old when I was 17 so I'm definitely too wold now that I'm 21.

My Girlfriend - Zagatto - 09-06-2004

Andromeda... that's crazy talk about being too old to learn something new.
I know a lot of guys who don't start studying the martial arts until they are in their late 20s. I didn't start inline skating till I was 26 and my mom started downhill skiing when she was 50.

I know what it's like to feel a bit awkward being the old person in a class and watching all these five year olds around me picking things up more quickly. In the end though it's rewarding to realize that you've accomplished learning something through your own hard work.

Get out there... check out the different schools offering classes... there is a lot of variety in teaching styles and what the classes offer. I suggest steering away from Tai Kwon Do and going to classes in Aikido or Tai Chi to start with. Tai Chi in particular tends to draw an older crowd who are just interested in bettering themselves. My gripe with Tai Kwon Do is how competitive it is and there tends to be less spiritual development there when compared to other styles.

Personally, I studied Tung Sudo for a year before settling into seven years of Sanchen Ryu. I found a class that I liked and the teacher put more emphasis on learning than what belt a person wore.

It's not that I think I'm too old to try something new, I just think I should've started as a child because children's bodies are more flexible and therefore more suited for this sort of thing. I mean, I'm pretty limber but kids can bend like a pretzel and I can't do that. Not to mention the fact that the ones who master a martial art or ballet always begin those activities when they're really young. I'd like to try a martial art like the ones you mentioned but I also would like to try Kendo, I've always had a thing for swords.

My Girlfriend - Vicious - 09-06-2004

Andromeda18_ Wrote:I mean, I'm pretty limber

I would say something here, but that would only further LSI's theory. :o

Andromeda18_ Wrote:I also would like to try Kendo, I've always had a thing for swords.

I've always wanted to try Kendo too, after seeing it in all those anime. I'm like, it doesn't look that tough. I actually already have a kendo stick.

If you already have a kendo stick what are you waiting for?

My Girlfriend - Vicious - 09-06-2004

I need someone else to hit with it don't I? :eek:

I'd be your partner if you lived near by but as it is you'll just have to convince a friend of yours. :p

My Girlfriend - Nina182B - 09-06-2004

Vicious Wrote:I would say something here, but that would only further LSI's theory. :o
Whoa, the self constraint is too amazing :p

I am a sissy when it comes to athletic stuff. I have to get over that before trying something like Kendo. But you're right Zagatto, I wouldn't want to be in a class with kids.. Unfortunately all the martial arts classes in my city are targeted towards kids. I'll have to check if they've got adult classes.

My Girlfriend - Zagatto - 09-06-2004

If you're interested in sword play you could check for a local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA for short). They don't allow people to start practicing armoured combat until they are at least 16 (until last year it was 18) and lots of people don't start until their late 20s.

I've got lots and lots of links for people who are interested. SCA is one of my only hobbies that rivals anime for amount of time and energy invested in it. The main link to start with is http://www.sca.org if you're interested in seeing what we do. We have clubs world wide (although I'm not too sure about Portugal... I'd have to look). I actually met my wife when I was up in Canada for a tournament.

The thing that made me think of SCA is the fact that Kendo was mentioned. We have people join from time to time who have years and years of Kendo experience who arrive believing that they'll be able to do very well. It's fun when they learn that Kendo isn't a very practical style against other mixed armed combat styles. If they stick around, they tend to learn a whole lot faster than a new member but that initial shock of getting walked all over is lots of fun to watch... I just love watching an ego deflate...

My Girlfriend - morgorath - 09-06-2004

Quote:Originally Posted by Nina182B
what do you think is the easiest type of dance to learn for a guy? I am pretty much open to learning anything but I don't want my boyfriend to give up on dancing because he thinks he can't do it or he's looking like an idiot trying. Oh yeah, grinding is the only thing he will do on the dance floor.

Nina 182B - This is an easy one. The Waltz or Fox Trot. The dance steps are very simple to learn. Also once he get's good at either one of those he can make an average girl look great. That is the weird thing about classical style of dancing. Men were in control and lead the dance. If an expert asked a newbie to dance it didn't matter because he would make her look and feel like she has been doing it for years. For easy sexy dance to learn the Cha Cha first 3 lessons are so simple that you could be dancing them in a routine for the next 2 months.

Zagatto - The SCA huh. Well yes traditonal Kendo does take a back seat to mixed sword fighting. But in Okinawa they offered a Kendo/Ninja mixed sword play that I found very hard for other styles to contend with. And deflating ego's is one thing that Bruce Lee was very good at. He was preaching mixed martial arts the moment he started to teach. Funny how it is just starting to catch on.

My Girlfriend - Zagatto - 09-07-2004

Nina - I tried a ballroom dance class with one of my girlfriends and we had a great time doing it. I found it to be easy to learn and fun to do. The waltz and the cha cha were both covered there and the teacher even taught us to dance to current pop tunes. Part of me wishes I had taken more of those classes but I've got too many hobbies as it is.

Morg - I would like to see some of that mixed sword play you mentioned. Bruce Lee was a genius in terms of fighting. While most martial arts preach form and repetition, he was more interested in movement and reactions. If you watch the Pride Fighting Championships or the Ultimate Fighting Championships then you already know some of the changes the martial art world has been going through over the last decade. I'm really surprised at the emphasis on grappling (reminds me that I still want to see Grappler Baki one of these days).

My Girlfriend - Batik - 09-07-2004

Very True Zagatto. I have also seen these changes. One that I hate the most though is Wushu. It pisses me off. because of that I can't find a good sword.

Andromeda- I am 14. I have to say no matter inflexible you are after a few classes you will bend. I couldn't even touch the ground in front of me while sitting down and now I can put my forehead on the ground with my knees flat. Pretty cool stuff Tongue. Ther are so many kids in my class it is scary. One of them is particularly scary. He is my practice partner sometimes and the little dude is dangerous. He could probably kick my ass if he wanted to. But he is a really nice kid. He was one of the people who went to compete in China a while ago. The dude took silver in a Quandou form. Awesome stuff.

Which reminds me. My tests are this week( kung-fu and school). Holy crap :eek: . I must work hard to impress the teachers...but I am not sucking up! If anyone is doing any asskissing then I will be them. BWAHAH! *runs off with a NON-WUSHU(because it sucks) sword * All hail my mighty Jin! Bye all Wink.

My Girlfriend - Vicious - 09-07-2004

Batik Wrote:I have to say no matter inflexible you are after a few classes you will bend. I couldn't even touch the ground in front of me while sitting down and now I can put my forehead on the ground with my knees flat.

Not true. I took taekowndo as a kid. And even as a kid, I had no flexibility. I couldn't come close to touching my knees, much less the ground when I started the class. And I wasn't any better 2-3 years later when I finally got tired of it.

My Girlfriend - morgorath - 09-07-2004

bending is like any other part of the body. You only become good at if you work at it. Unless we are talking about a certain male anatomy. Then you are either blessed from birth or go see a doc and pay for your improvements.

My Girlfriend - Andromeda18_ - 09-07-2004

Zagatto Wrote:If you're interested in sword play you could check for a local chapter of the Society for Creative Anachronism (SCA for short). They don't allow people to start practicing armoured combat until they are at least 16 (until last year it was 18) and lots of people don't start until their late 20s.

I've got lots and lots of links for people who are interested. SCA is one of my only hobbies that rivals anime for amount of time and energy invested in it. The main link to start with is http://www.sca.org if you're interested in seeing what we do. We have clubs world wide (although I'm not too sure about Portugal... I'd have to look). I actually met my wife when I was up in Canada for a tournament.

The thing that made me think of SCA is the fact that Kendo was mentioned. We have people join from time to time who have years and years of Kendo experience who arrive believing that they'll be able to do very well. It's fun when they learn that Kendo isn't a very practical style against other mixed armed combat styles. If they stick around, they tend to learn a whole lot faster than a new member but that initial shock of getting walked all over is lots of fun to watch... I just love watching an ego deflate...

Thank you for the suggestion Zagatto, I'll check out the website. It must really be funny watching those people getting walked all over. We sometimes tend to think we're the best at something but the truth is there's always someone better.

morgorath Wrote:Zagatto - The SCA huh. Well yes traditonal Kendo does take a back seat to mixed sword fighting. But in Okinawa they offered a Kendo/Ninja mixed sword play that I found very hard for other styles to contend with.

Now that would be perfect! I have a friend who used to practice Ninjitsu and he said it was really awesome! Oh, and you should have seen his equipment! Boots with hidden knives and stuff like that.

morgorath Wrote:bending is like any other part of the body. You only become good at if you work at it. Unless we are talking about a certain male anatomy. Then you are either blessed from birth or go see a doc and pay for your improvements.

True, but flexibility differs from person to person, younger people are usually more flexible than older people and women are naturally more flexible than men. Vicious has no flexibility and apparently it wasn't much different when he was a kid. I on the other hand can easily put my forehead on the ground with my knees flat. According to my latest physical examination I have an excellent flexibility and I personally think I'm a bit out of shape where flexibility's concerned. Sure it requires work but the body has its limits.